Thursday, February 13, 2020

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2


After completing my interviews, I was able to further narrow down the who, the what and the why of my opportunity hypothesis. Receiving feedback from people on how large the need of my opportunity is and who actually benefits from it is vital for it to becoming a success.

Who: Out of the five people that I interviewed, the majority of them fell inside of the boundary of my opportunity. Four out of the five people said that they wanted the parking spaces to be larger and also wanted an overall bigger parking lot on Fraternity Row. The person that I interviewed who fell outside of the boundary of my opportunity was the only one without a car or scooter who lives on Fraternity Row. Certain people who live on Fraternity Row that do not get around campus by driving their car or scooter fall outside of the boundary.

What: I realized from my interviews that the need may not be for everyone. Although all my interviews agreed on the idea that the parking on Fraternity Row should be altered in a way that suits individuals with different types of vehicles, many said that if they did not have a car they would take the RTS.

Why: The underlying cause of the outsiders’ need varies from the people who stand inside the boundary due to the fact that they use alternative methods such as driving a car or scooter to or around campus. As I stated previously, the need is different depending on the students who live on Fraternity Row. Some take the bus, bike or use Uber as alternative ways to get around campus which prevents them for caring about the parking situation on Fraternity Row.



                  Inside the Boundary                                         Outside the Boundary

Who
·      People who drive a car or scooter and park on Fraternity Row
Who
·      People who do not use a car or scooter who may or may not go to Fraternity Row
What the Need is
·      Finding spaces to park in in Fraternity Row parking lot
·      Larger parking spots to accustom all types of vehicles
What the Need is Not
·      A new parking lot far from Fraternity Row

Why the Need Exists
·      Student’s complaints about lack of parking
·      Student’s complaints about small space sizes for their car or scooter to fit in
Alternative Explanations
·      People can take the bus to get around campus
·      People can bike

1 comment:

  1. Hey BlakeI think your idea is great! I never thought specifically that certain areas on campus may have worse parking situations than others, and by improving one at a time we can make the campus a better place to commute too. I also have noticed the issues with sports on fraternity row since many of my friends live there and I don't even bother with driving, I usually just walk or catch a ride.

    ReplyDelete