Thursday, April 16, 2020

Celebrating Failure

This past semester has taught me many lessons through my failures. For example, one of my friends knows an aspiring rapper who was looking for a songwriter and I volunteered to help. The rapper asked me to write a song for him using a certain beat that his producer made for him. I kept writing lyrics until I thought I compiled a perfect song that would fit his rapping style and the song’s beat. However, I was wrong. The rapper and producer both thought the lyrics I wrote did not synergize well with his style and the instrumental. I tried a couple times to come up with better lyrics and I failed continuously because I did not know what they were truly looking for.

I learned that maybe I should not write songs for aspiring rappers who I have nothing in common with. I also learned that instead of writing about certain things that relate to only my life in songs, I can write about issues around the world and make it more relatable to the audience I am trying to reach.

In general, I think failure is definitely hard in the moment. Meaning that for a couple of hours or even days, one can get distracted by his/her failures. However, I try to look at failure as a way to go about things differently. I try to learn by my mistakes and think of new ideas to approach whatever I am trying to accomplish. It is hard to do this initially, but once you can accept the failure you must know it is time to look at it as an opportunity. This class has helped me become more confident in myself to take more risks. I learned that even if I fail, I had a helpful learning experience that I will use to grow and better myself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Blake, great work on your post! we can all definitely relate to your moment of failure. I for one have experienced similar situations when what I thought was right was wrong. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blake, even though it did not turn out the way you had hoped, it is still impressive that you took on the challenge of writing lyrics for an aspiring rapper. I would say not to give up on writing lyrics for new artists because everyone has different preferences and the next artist you work with might be the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete